The RBSL

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: The Buckner Saga: Part II  (Read 47 times)

GrizzliesGM

• General Managers
    • View Profile
The Buckner Saga: Part II
« on: September 08, 2019, 08:52:18 PM »

So the season went on. Pom was tanking (rare) as was Alex (not rare). But my tankbuddy was no one other than Brian. The Wiz and Grizz were in the same sentence a lot that year. We both shot for 20, and as you'll see later... we both hit it. Exactly. I hadn't truly gone all-in on a draft before, and with spectating two of them under my belt, I felt ready to make decisions. I tracked the HTML and my scout every single time a new draft file became available.

Obsessed doesn't begin to describe it. I hit up Brian's DMs probably 4-5 separate times a day. Who do you like, why do you like them, what do you think they could be? At one point I even had a plane flight for which I opened 30 tabs on my phone, slammed a couple Mountain Dews, and decided I wasn't allowed off the plane until I had a definitive personal ranking 1-30. It happened. This is now referred to as the Spirit Journey. One time when I was working nights in the SICU, I made Brian, Dave, and Bryant entertain me by joining me in a mock draft. Good times bonding.

The results came back the same every time no matter how I looked at it. "This Brown guy is good. Gonzo is gonna score 20 a night for a decade. This draft doesn't seem crazy deep. But David Buckner is the best player in this draft, and I'm not entirely sure it's close." He had everything. After a handful of times I literally just stopped looking at his page and looked at everyone else in a contest for 2nd place. He could board and defend. He could end up the best shot-blocker in the league. He was huge. He was fast. He could run. He was like a stringier, bouncier Thomas Benson (drafted #1 by Brian only a couple seasons earlier). His college numbers were unreal. 26.6/19.4/3.3/1.3/3.2 in 27 minutes a night. He was efficient, he got to the line, and he didn't foul. I had to have him. End of thing. I had to have him.

Brian knew. Probably a conflict of interest. But I couldn't not tell someone. Anyway, we continued on with the season. I sold off part after part to get whatever value I could and stayed on track for 20 wins. The Grizz slipped behind pace, went ahead, and then leveled off. I decided winning 22 was better than 18, so I tried to play it safe. Well, it came down to the last sim... Grizz had I think 19 wins and an easy schedule. I decided to go full supertank and figured I could end up getting one back, but it turns out that several other squads were shy of 20 wins and panicking to try and catch back up. It all boiled down to the final sim.

As above, when the dust settled, I landed at exactly 20 wins (and so did Brian!) because I beat the #1 odds Spurs by like 3 points in the last game of the season. The lotto odds were settled. It went Spurs, Grizz and Wiz tied, and then everyone else- Lakers, Jazz, whoever. I was stoked. BUCKNER. The HTML listed the Grizzlies as the 2nd odds. BUCKNER. People didn't think he was #1. They were wrong.

The lotto ran, and in true Grizz fashion, we ended up 5th. Jumped by Wiz, Jazz, and the #1 pick-winning Lakers. FREAKING FIFTH. Not a chance Buckner falls that far. Things need to be done. Moves needed to be made. Screw fifth. Moves were going to be made.

Part III coming later.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:11:18 AM by BullsGM »
Grizzly Adam, est. 2088
Host of UNM, Keeper of Buckner
Southbest Division Champs x .... a lot.

WolvesGM

• General Managers
    • View Profile
Re: The Buckner Saga: Part II
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »

But my tankbuddy was no one other than Brian.

An absolute dagger to my heart.

http://therbsl.mynetgear.com/rbsl/2089/html/

It wasn't Brian! It was me! I was your tank buddy. I was the one who coined the mantra, "20 wins--no more, no less!" Brian, in contrast, won 53.

And it was me you met in the final game of the season, both of us perched at exactly 20 wins(after you had beaten the Spurs a few games earlier). It was me you lost to, cementing your 20 and leaving me at 21.

It was me!

Like some ragged old bear with his stuffing seeping from his loose seams, I was once beloved but have since been forgotten, discarded for shinier toys. So to continue this labored analogy, Brian is basically the Nintendo that replaced me in your golden memories. Where do we go from here? You move on, I suppose, while I languish in a plastic tote in your mother's basement, entombed alongside disheveled Ninja Turtles and Transformers. Waiting for you to remember. Knowing it's too late. I smell musty.
GM Since 2085
Regular Season Record: 627-439
Playoffs: 43-54
Voted 2092-93 Co-GM of the Year by a Panel of Respected Peers

BullsGM

• Administrator
  • General Managers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »

250 TBD FOR GRIZZLIES

150 TBD FOR KILE'S RESPONSE AND ALL THE NOSTALGIA
2096/97 RBSL CHAMPION

HawksGM

• General Managers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »

LMAO
GM of the Atlanta Hawks since 2079
2095 GMs Choice GMoTY

GrizzliesGM

• General Managers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:15:25 PM »

OK so I plan to edit this. Not 100% of the above was wrong. Kile is partly right, but I'll sort it all out at the beginning of the next one.
Grizzly Adam, est. 2088
Host of UNM, Keeper of Buckner
Southbest Division Champs x .... a lot.