The RBSL

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Comparing Madut Kiplagat to DeAndre Ayton  (Read 74 times)

SixersGM

• General Managers
    • View Profile
Comparing Madut Kiplagat to DeAndre Ayton
« on: August 13, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »

A Recent Ranking came out of the all time best RBSL players in the modern and Post Jaylen Era

I found the list fascinating on a number of fronts. Lets review first the list proposed.

I never knew Jaylen, here's a ballpark top 10 I've ever seen:
1. Madut
2. Barber
3. GiGi
4. Bender
5. Guo
6. DMart
7. Art Goodwin
8. Benson
9. Jacinto Just
10. Ayton

The consensus among the league seems to be that Madut Kiplagat is the best player of this era. Madut is a unicorn, no doubt. He is 7ft7 tall while also being fantastically skilled as a shooter. Trust me, I get it. Madut was my baby dragon for 12 seasons. There is a romance to his story that is undeniable. There is a mythical quality to a player that tall with the ability to stretch the floor. But at the end of the day its a game of numbers and sorry to say, Madut is the one player in the top 10 whos number dont support his reputation. Lets compare Madut to Ayton after the first 5yrs of their career

As you can see, from a raw counting stats perspective, Ayton leads in virtually every category other than turnovers per game and blocks per game.

Rim protection is the primary job of a big man, no one will argue that at all. But turnovers are actually an interesting nuance because Ayton actually had a significantly better TO rate over his first 5 seasons than Madut. but that requires some advanced statistics. so lets look at efficiency.

So I am the lead bell ringer for efficiency metrics in RBSL. It may surprise some to see me actively arguing against one of my dragons. But the simple fact is, Ayton despite his inability to shoot threes, has been a more efficient player than Madut even despite having to carry a far heavier workload for the Thunder. For ever touch Ayton has produced 1.54 points per shot. That is insanely efficient on a historic scale especially for someone still very early in his career.

But Madut was a slow starter right? He was a Red/Blue project when drafted and Ayton was much more day 1 ready. So lets look at full careers? Sure why not.

Here is where i think it is interesting. Madut leads Ayton in only two individual categories blocks and 3point percentage. And at the end of the day, those two things are remarkable to have as a combination. But the net effect of Ayton is simply better than that of Kiplagat. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:43:59 AM by BullsGM »

BullsGM

• Administrator
  • General Managers
    • View Profile
Re: Comparing Madut Kiplagat to DeAndre Ayton
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 10:44:04 AM »

250 TBD
2096, 2098 and 2099 RBSL CHAMPION
🏆🏆🏆