• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

January 22, 2021, 10:54:18 pm

News:

SMF - Just Found the News Section and How to Change This Headline!

New Strict Draft Pick Timer

Started by ClippersGM, May 03, 2019, 04:00:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pom

I don't care how active anyone wants to be until it spills over into demands for other people to cater to that higher activity. The "active" camp is the only one punishing people for not playing the game their way. Almost by definition, "my" side of the argument wants people to be left alone to play the game at their own pace, and at a pace that has worked for basically half of my actual life.

I'm angry because instead of sitting back and accepting that the draft isn't going to be done in a day, we feel the need to implement rules that would FORCE people to be playing the game during work or other obligations. And I'll point out the first volley in this particular battle was comparing people picking slowly to being a cancer for the league.
Jazz GM since 2054
'66, '70, '71, '72, '73, '74, '75, '76, '77, '83, '84, '85, '87, '91, '92, '93

SpursGM

Quote from: JazzGM on May 04, 2019, 02:55:57 pm
And I'll point out the first volley in this particular battle was comparing people picking slowly to being a cancer for the league.

I'll add onto this by pointing out that this was while a first season GM was making his first draft pick, while he was at work.

The league is already about 33-50% faster than it was just three seasons ago. I joined in July of 2016/the spring of 2075, and won my first title four seasons later in June of 2017/the spring of 2079.

We're already on our third season in 2019 and it's barely May.

I can't imagine a bigger non-issue than this.

Chris Koenig

May 04, 2019, 03:42:56 pm #17 Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 03:58:20 pm by MagicGM
Quote from: JazzGM on May 04, 2019, 02:55:57 pm
I don't care how active anyone wants to be until it spills over into demands for other people to cater to that higher activity. The "active" camp is the only one punishing people for not playing the game their way. Almost by definition, "my" side of the argument wants people to be left alone to play the game at their own pace, and at a pace that has worked for basically half of my actual life.

I'm angry because instead of sitting back and accepting that the draft isn't going to be done in a day, we feel the need to implement rules that would FORCE people to be playing the game during work or other obligations. And I'll point out the first volley in this particular battle was comparing people picking slowly to being a cancer for the league.

My final takeaway is this.  The game was structured around sims that run at night.  People can participate whenever fits into their schedule.  Forcing people to pick 2, 4 or 6 hours, on no notice, is not the way this is supposed to work.

My suggestion is to go back to the old structure.  Sim 1-10 at 10pm the first night.  Wherever we are.  11-20 night two, 21-30 night 3, all of 2nd round on night 4 (or just autosim that round, who cares).

This allows people to have the flexibility to participate when they are available and the predictability of knowing "I must get my list in by 10pm tonight" - and not be surprised when they are on the clock at noon.

This is the equivalent of our deciding that FA is now all on one day - FA day 1 is at noon, FA day 2 is at 3, FA day 3 is at 6....

And no one is harmed because everyone can just have their FA lists in!

BlazersGM Dave

Quote from: WolvesGM on May 04, 2019, 02:19:12 pm
I think 2 hours is obviously too short.

It isn't so much about turning the league into a second job--though let's face it, a second job that only really demands your immediate attention once every couple months(during the draft) actually sounds pretty sweet--it's more about wanting to be in a league where we respect eachother's time.

Myself, I can basically choose to do whatever I want with every hour of my day. I recognize that as a privlege not everyone shares. I'm as active and obsessed as anyone, or at least I aim to be. Yet when I've had a commitment I thought might cause a conflict with my pick, I've sent in lists. I thought that was the best practice. Just last season I sent in a ten-man list for picks 15-25(fyi I drafted the RotY and 3 other guys--lists work!). I've heard it preached since I joined. It was represented to me as ingrained etiquette. I mean, obviously it would be more advantageous to just squat on the clock while I do whatever I'm doing until bored people are sending me offers out of desperation. That's currently a legit tactic in this league, by the way. But to digress here I favor this kind of change because I've been operating under the assumption that lists were cool and normal things to do. If that's just not the case, then back to the drawing board, I guess.

More to the factors behind this divide, though, I find it very strange the level of hostility toward members simply because some folks choose to be more active. Pretty demeaning tone from a couple of you aimed at people who are simply prioritizing the RBSL more than you choose to. That's some shit I really do not have time for. I'm not judging your time commitment either way. I'm not blathering. I am your friend. My goal isn't selfish, it's simply to try and ease the stupid tension we experience almost every draft. Anyway, that's all the energy I'm electing to give this subject this season. Hope we can figure out something better someday.

I agree with this statement.

SpursGM

So that everyone is aware -

The concerns about time blocks prioritizing RBSL over Work were unable to be answered satisfactorily for a majority of the League Office to support this proposal. In an attempt to determine what else might work, those most opposed to this proposal reached out to those we felt were likeliest to have voted for this proposal outside of the league office.

We confirmed two things:

1) Almost nobody actually thinks that GMs should be required to make picks during the work day or that their time to do so should run during their work day or while they are asleep.
2) The complaints actually lay with one GM's history of failing to make timely draft picks and take up a disproportionate amount of time in making his draft picks, even when their time zone, ordinary work times, and sleeping time are accounted for.

So the compromise reached in order to address the draft concerns without a formalized system requiring people to prioritize RBSL over their work, health, family, and 'real world' priorities, balanced against the GM's tenure with the League, is that we have placed the GM in question on a specific Draft Schedule, allowing him several hours after his ordinary work day to make a selection if he comes on the clock during the work day, but otherwise expecting him to make a pick with the same sort of reasonableness and communication requirements of everyone else if he comes on the clock during other times.

That GM is also being placed on an overall participation warning, with expectations that he begin meeting the basic requirements of answering PMs related to RBSL business within a reasonable time.