• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

August 05, 2021, 04:53:33 pm

News:

SMF - Just Found the News Section and How to Change This Headline!

TBD amendments

Started by 76ersGM Jack, June 26, 2021, 12:52:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

76ersGM Jack

The issue regarding TBD has been bubbling for a while. As most of the league knows, I am a prominent advocate for some portion of a TBD cap being executed. I felt today was a good day to get all of the thoughts out of why a TBD cap is needed and should be implemented in the near future.

For many people, TBD isn't seen as an issue because, as many of us, like Idoine and myself, live in the red. For some, there is often an excess. The most obvious example of that is Gasper. While this is a down season for Gasper, he has been close to 20,000 TBD on numerous occasions and, with Bezos-like numbers, held more TBD than half the league combined.

Luckily for us, Gasper doesn't exploit it that much, but an issue has arisen that has brought attention towards this. Gasper has been building a hoard of rookies and is an incredible roster. Now, in no way is his roster illegal or should be adjusted. Despite that, Gasper has spent north of 9,000 TBD on several draft picks over the last few seasons. Anyone who sells a draft pick often goes to him because he can overpay by thousands for the selection, and it doesn't harm him.

The main argument against a TBD cap has been that teams would be stupid to make significant trades involving that much TBD, and it doesn't do much harm. Major kudos to Ken for bringing up the point that these around the edges trades build up or can be built up going forward. For example, Gasper can purchase 20 and 25 for 5,000 TBD and then package those two picks to move into the teens. Now, this hasn't been seen often yet, but it can happen and is easily avoidable.

I am proposing a TBD cap of 10,000 TBD. I also would suggest the potential limit of TBD income from these stat sites, and while Gasper absolutely should receive TBD for doing it, the number should be decreased.

This TBD cap still allows for an in-game advantage that doesn't allow for game-breaking opportunities, combining that with a lesser return on a stat site that, while fantastic to observe, isn't worth the amount being received. I am open to considerations and amendments but hope this could be a potential change by next season.

CelticsGM

Quote from: 76ersGM Jack on June 26, 2021, 12:52:13 pmI also would suggest the potential limit of TBD income from these stat sites, and while Gasper absolutely should receive TBD for doing it, the number should be decreased.

I am definitly in favour of TBD cap.

About the suggestion above, could you please give more concrete idea about that one :)?

JazzGM

Support the cap. As for the Gasper part, I would say go build a database and website that keeps track of all the player stats always and forever and also spits out cool reports every sim, and tell me how much TBD you think that time was worth.

It's like, a million TBD worth of value to the league and instead of getting a lump-sum payment he gets per-sim payments (goes for Zach's site too). Also Max's TBD should refill to the cap every off-season.
Jazz GM 2054-2094, 2115->